ant-dev mailing list archives

From Antoine Levy-Lambert <anto...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Import Bushel into Ivy
Date Thu, 14 Oct 2010 20:19:31 GMT
  Hello Nicolas,

On 10/13/2010 9:38 AM, Nicolas Lalevée wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to import the code of Bushel [1] into Ivy core.

+1

I attended a few sessions about OSGi at the last ApacheCon US and I am
interested by this technology as well.
> On the technical part.
> Bushel implement some special Ivy resolver and version matching which understand the
different kind of OSGi dependency, and also understand the repository descriptor OBR (OSGi
Bundle Repository). So the import will make those resolver part of Ivy core.

> On the legal part.
> The code has been developed under the ASL2 license and by only three developpers: Alex
Radeski, Jérôme Benois and me. I have contacted the two others, they are joining me in this
request and are willing to sign any software grant paper necessary.
> As the code will be imported into Ivy, the "Bushel" name will then disappear. Ivy will
then support some OSGi feature.

> Deeper in the technical part.
> As I explained here [2], Ivy cannot fulfill entirely the OSGi resolve specification.
But I have managed to make resolve work and I think it can fill some requirement like making
some transition from a ivy/maven based resolution mechanism to a pure OSGi based one. Or the
reverse. With that respect, we shouldn't lure Ivy users to say that Ivy support OSGi and I
suggest that we would flag at first it as "experimental". As users would start to try it,
we will see real world case appear, and then we would then advise of its real state. This
might sound quite pessimistic, but I find this feature exciting enough to bring it into Ivy
core.
A lot of innovations start that way, I see nothing wrong with this approach.

> WDYT ?
>
> Nicolas
>
> [1] http://code.google.com/p/bushel/
> [2] http://code.google.com/p/bushel/wiki/IvyOsgiMapping