ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Glick <jesse.gl...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: warning: 'includeantruntime' was not set
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2010 16:15:32 GMT
On 08/18/2010 10:14 AM, kwutzke@web.de wrote:
> Why doesn't Ant just default to false and just omit warning me about this for every Ant
build?

That would be an incompatible change. Some old build scripts may be intentionally compiling
sources against ant.jar (typically because they define Ant tasks), tools.jar
(who knows why), etc. They also ought to set includeantruntime=false but then explicitly add
the desired <classpath>, e.g. <pathelement location="${ant.core.lib}"/>. (The

warning will also go away if you set includeantruntime=true, but this will make your script
be less portable.)

I agree that it is irritating to issue this warning so often, but the alternative of breaking
compatibility even for a minority of existing scripts seems worse. There are
similar places in Ant where an old default was a bad choice but cannot now be changed compatibly.

(You could also define ANT_OPTS=-Dbuild.sysclasspath=ignore for yourself but this will not
help other people running your script.)