ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Glick <jesse.gl...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Testlistener Events in JUnit Slows Down Forked Tests in 1.8.x
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2010 13:05:16 GMT
On 08/10/2010 03:00 PM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> buffering on the
> testrunner side would help but at the same time make the lines unusable
> for the test listener events that must happen in step with the test to
> be useful.

It would suffice for test listener events to be delivered fairly soon after the fact, say
within a second or so. Buffering would be fine if output were flushed after some
delay (not just based on exceeding some buffer size). Or you could print to a buffered stream
and only flush at one-second intervals, say.

> do you want to turn events off by default and enable them based on the magic property?

Exactly. (Assuming that no proper fix as discussed above is forthcoming.)

> [This] would break backwards compatibility.

Yes, but only from the point of view of Ant containers, of which there are a very limited
number (and I do not know if any besides NetBeans use this feature). They need
only begin setting this flag unconditionally, which would be ignored by older versions of
Ant. The breakage would only be for people running old versions of containers
with new versions of Ant - an unusual case.