ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Glick <jesse.gl...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Testlistener Events in JUnit Slows Down Forked Tests in 1.8.x
Date Tue, 10 Aug 2010 18:23:42 GMT
On 08/09/2010 03:42 AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> I plan to add an disableTestListenerEvents

First I would like to hear an explanation of why printing a few lines to System.out causes
such a big performance hit and why this cannot be fixed. What is waiting for
what to finish? Does the problem only occur on Windows? And can it be avoided by just removing
calls to flush(), possibly using System.err?

> We could add a YAMP (yet another magic property) ...

This would be much preferable IMHO. The property would just be set by any container which
wants to listen to <junit> progress. (An attribute in the build script is
useless for this purpose, even if the default is on - since the user might turn it off for
speed of builds in other environments!)