ant-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: warning: 'includeantruntime' was not set
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2010 16:31:51 GMT

On Aug 18, 2010, at 11:15 AM, Jesse Glick wrote:

> On 08/18/2010 10:14 AM, kwutzke@web.de wrote:
>> Why doesn't Ant just default to false and just omit warning me about this for every
Ant build?

> That would be an incompatible change. Some old build scripts may be intentionally compiling
sources against ant.jar (typically because they define Ant tasks), tools.jar (who knows why),
etc. They also ought to set includeantruntime=false but then explicitly add the desired <classpath>,
e.g. <pathelement location="${ant.core.lib}"/>. (The warning will also go away if you
set includeantruntime=true, but this will make your script be less portable.)

> I agree that it is irritating to issue this warning so often, but the alternative of
breaking compatibility even for a minority of existing scripts seems worse. There are similar
places in Ant where an old default was a bad choice but cannot now be changed compatibly.

> (You could also define ANT_OPTS=-Dbuild.sysclasspath=ignore for yourself but this will
not help other people running your script.)

Personally, I would vote that we break backward-compatibility on this issue, and require those
running such ancient buildfiles to declare build.sysclasspath if they DO want the system classpath
appended.

-Matt