ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Re: Publishing non-jar artifacts
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2010 09:03:57 GMT

Le 24 août 2010 à 00:47, Carl Myers a écrit :

> The "common and reusable" pattern is "I have a mess of files".  Why does it need to be
more specific?

> Some examples:
>
> 1. Our custom build system consists of several xml and properties files.  We would like
to version our build system itself so that just a small ant script is used to pull the build
system, then it is used to perform the rest of the build.  We would like to have the build
system cached, then extracted to a certain location, after an ivy resolve, but this must work
within the eclipse workflow and the CLI workflow (but, I suppose, either way it will be the
dev. running an ant script probably, so maybe IvyDE doesn't need to support it explicitly)

quite off topic, but this is amazingly exactly what I want to put in place for my projects.
I think Easyant can help with that, but it is not yet there, so my recent long mail on easyant
dev mailing list.

> 2. Sql files, or other generated artifacts that are not Jars.  I have a directory full
of Sql files that several packages need to depend upon. What I really want to do is "build"
these sql files (run tests, validate them), then publish them using ivy.  But when other things
depend on them, they need the files in a certain location, not on their classpath.  I want
to be able to use a construct where I say "resolve this package and place its contents here".

> 3. Configuration only packages.  This makes sense once your codebase gets big enough
- and similar to #2 above, you want to have a bunch of xml or properties files or whatever
and you want them to end up in a location on disk, not in the ether.

> I think this is a very general (and useful) case for Ivy to solve.

So you need IvyDE to launch a resolve of some ivy.xml file, and then retrieve the appropriate
files in some defined place. IvyDE can already do that:
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/ivyde/history/latest-milestone/cpc/retrieve.html

As I wrote, it is tied to the Java nature of a project, and an IvyDE classpath container has
to exist even if you don't use it. It should be useable though.

But for IvyDE 2.2, I have just implemented a retrieve mechanism for non java project. So you
would be able to right click on a project, select the Ivy menu and then select "Retrieve 'sql
files'". And with Clint Burghduff patch I integrated too, the files get properly refreshed
in Eclipse. I wouldn't consider the 2.2 as production ready, but an early feedback on that
would be appreciated.

Nicolas

> -Carl
>
> On 08/19/2010 01:00 PM, Nicolas Lalevée wrote:
>> pe, Ivy doesn't care. I have been able to make Ivy manage dependencies between flex
projects. IvyDE on his side is mainly intended to be used in a Java projects (probably too
tied to Java,