ant-dev mailing list archives

From Chet Hosey <gargantuc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: warning: 'includeantruntime' was not set
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2010 15:25:49 GMT
On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 10:14 AM,  <kwutzke@web.de> wrote:

> Why does Ant warn me about this?:
> warning: 'includeantruntime' was not set, defaulting to build.sysclasspath=last; set
to false for repeatable build

Historically, Ant always included its own runtime in the classpath
made available to the javac task. So any libraries included with Ant,
and any libraries available to ant, are automatically in your build's
classpath whether you like it or not.

It was decided that this probably wasn't what most people wanted. So
now there's an option for it.

> Is it important?

Yes. It calls your attention to an issue that can make your builds to
work in unexpected ways. For an example, see item #3 at
http://blogs.sun.com/kto/entry/painful_ant_bite_a_generous.

If you choose "true", then at least you know that your build classpath
will include the Ant runtime. If you choose "false" then you are
accepting the fact that the build behavior will change between older
versions and 1.8+.

> Who needs to know? I don't care.

If you want your build file to have total control over your build,
then you should care.

> Why doesn't Ant just default to false and just omit warning me about this for every Ant
build?
> I don't want adjust every build file that I have. There are probably other ways, but
it's annoying anyhow.

As annoyed as you are to see this warning, you'd be even less happy if
your builds broke entirely. Keeping this default behavior allows
unmodified build files to work consistently between versions of Ant.

-- Chet