ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Testlistener Events in JUnit Slows Down Forked Tests in 1.8.x
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2010 07:42:06 GMT
Hi all,

The short story is that with the changed StreamPumper code and
useAvailable=true forked JUnit tests now take a longer time because the
test time is influenced by the time it takes to send the output for test
events back to Ant.

For more background <>.

Testlistener events have been introduced to support advanced UIs that
show progress bars while running the tests

If I disable those events, tests in 1.8.x finish as quickly as they do
in 1.7.1.

I plan to add an disableTestListenerEvents (any ideas for a different
name?)  attribute to <junit> that can be used to disable Testlistener
events (that's trivial to implement, all the necessary hooks are already
there), set it to false for backwards compatibility reasons and strongly
recommend to set it true unless you really need them (running inside of
NetBeans) in the manual page as well as WHATSNEW.

We could add a YAMP (yet another magic property) ...

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message