ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Testlistener Events in JUnit Slows Down Forked Tests in 1.8.x
Date Thu, 19 Aug 2010 12:25:43 GMT
On 2010-08-11, Jesse Glick wrote:

> On 08/10/2010 03:00 PM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>> buffering on the testrunner side would help but at the same time make
>> the lines unusable for the test listener events that must happen in
>> step with the test to be useful.

> It would suffice for test listener events to be delivered fairly soon
> after the fact, say within a second or so. Buffering would be fine if
> output were flushed after some delay

It turned out that buffering even without flushing helped but still
made the tests significantly slower in my micro benchmark - and this was
before I even started to implement a flushing thread that certainly had
to ensure output was flushed before the regular events were fired ...

I've added an attribute to enable the events (defaults to false) and a
magic property that overrides the attribute setting.

<http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=987139>

Stefan