ant-dev mailing list archives

From Carl Myers <cmy...@palantir.com>
Subject Re: Publishing non-jar artifacts
Date Fri, 27 Aug 2010 20:55:55 GMT
Nicolas - Thanks, this info is very helpful.  I will investigate and be
sure to let you know if I have any feedback.

-Carl

On 08/24/2010 02:03 AM, Nicolas Lalevée wrote:

> Le 24 août 2010 à 00:47, Carl Myers a écrit :
>
>> The "common and reusable" pattern is "I have a mess of files".  Why does it need
to be more specific?

>> Some examples:
>>
>> 1. Our custom build system consists of several xml and properties files.  We would
like to version our build system itself so that just a small ant script is used to pull the
build system, then it is used to perform the rest of the build.  We would like to have the
build system cached, then extracted to a certain location, after an ivy resolve, but this
must work within the eclipse workflow and the CLI workflow (but, I suppose, either way it
will be the dev. running an ant script probably, so maybe IvyDE doesn't need to support it
explicitly)

> quite off topic, but this is amazingly exactly what I want to put in place for my projects.
I think Easyant can help with that, but it is not yet there, so my recent long mail on easyant
dev mailing list.

>> 2. Sql files, or other generated artifacts that are not Jars.  I have a directory
full of Sql files that several packages need to depend upon. What I really want to do is "build"
these sql files (run tests, validate them), then publish them using ivy.  But when other things
depend on them, they need the files in a certain location, not on their classpath.  I want
to be able to use a construct where I say "resolve this package and place its contents here".

>> 3. Configuration only packages.  This makes sense once your codebase gets big enough
- and similar to #2 above, you want to have a bunch of xml or properties files or whatever
and you want them to end up in a location on disk, not in the ether.

>> I think this is a very general (and useful) case for Ivy to solve.
>
> So you need IvyDE to launch a resolve of some ivy.xml file, and then retrieve the appropriate
files in some defined place. IvyDE can already do that:
> http://ant.apache.org/ivy/ivyde/history/latest-milestone/cpc/retrieve.html
>
> As I wrote, it is tied to the Java nature of a project, and an IvyDE classpath container
has to exist even if you don't use it. It should be useable though.

> But for IvyDE 2.2, I have just implemented a retrieve mechanism for non java project.
So you would be able to right click on a project, select the Ivy menu and then select "Retrieve
'sql files'". And with Clint Burghduff patch I integrated too, the files get properly refreshed
in Eclipse. I wouldn't consider the 2.2 as production ready, but an early feedback on that
would be appreciated.

> Nicolas
>

>> -Carl
>>
>> On 08/19/2010 01:00 PM, Nicolas Lalevée wrote:
>>> pe, Ivy doesn't care. I have been able to make Ivy manage dependencies between
flex projects. IvyDE on his side is mainly intended to be used in a Java projects (probably
too tied to Java,