ant-dev mailing list archives

From Carl Myers <cmy...@palantir.com>
Subject Re: Publishing non-jar artifacts
Date Mon, 23 Aug 2010 22:47:44 GMT
The "common and reusable" pattern is "I have a mess of files".  Why does
it need to be more specific?

Some examples:

1. Our custom build system consists of several xml and properties files.
  We would like to version our build system itself so that just a small
ant script is used to pull the build system, then it is used to perform
the rest of the build.  We would like to have the build system cached,
then extracted to a certain location, after an ivy resolve, but this
must work within the eclipse workflow and the CLI workflow (but, I
suppose, either way it will be the dev. running an ant script probably,
so maybe IvyDE doesn't need to support it explicitly)

2. Sql files, or other generated artifacts that are not Jars.  I have a
directory full of Sql files that several packages need to depend upon.
What I really want to do is "build" these sql files (run tests, validate
them), then publish them using ivy.  But when other things depend on
them, they need the files in a certain location, not on their classpath.
  I want to be able to use a construct where I say "resolve this package
and place its contents here".

3. Configuration only packages.  This makes sense once your codebase
gets big enough - and similar to #2 above, you want to have a bunch of
xml or properties files or whatever and you want them to end up in a
location on disk, not in the ether.

I think this is a very general (and useful) case for Ivy to solve.

-Carl

On 08/19/2010 01:00 PM, Nicolas Lalevée wrote:
> pe, Ivy doesn't care. I have been able to make Ivy manage dependencies between flex projects.
IvyDE on his side is mainly intended to be used in a Java projects (probably too tied to Java,

--
Carl Myers
Palantir Technologies | Internal Tools Software Engineer