ant-dev mailing list archives

From Karsten Wutzke <>
Subject Re: warning: 'includeantruntime' was not set
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2010 16:34:57 GMT
Thanks Stefan and Jesse, I now understand that this change had to be made. Setting this per
Ant installation is consequently the same as setting an env var, so I will bow down and change
all my build files accordingly.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Jesse Glick <>
Gesendet: 18.08.2010 18:15:32
Betreff: Re: warning: 'includeantruntime' was not set

>On 08/18/2010 10:14 AM, wrote:
>> Why doesn't Ant just default to false and just omit warning me about this for every
Ant build?
>That would be an incompatible change. Some old build scripts may be intentionally compiling
sources against ant.jar (typically because they define Ant tasks), tools.jar
>(who knows why), etc. They also ought to set includeantruntime=false but then explicitly
add the desired <classpath>, e.g. . (The
>warning will also go away if you set includeantruntime=true, but this will make your script
be less portable.)
>I agree that it is irritating to issue this warning so often, but the alternative of breaking
compatibility even for a minority of existing scripts seems worse. There are
>similar places in Ant where an old default was a bad choice but cannot now be changed
>(You could also define ANT_OPTS=-Dbuild.sysclasspath=ignore for yourself but this will
not help other people running your script.)
>To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>For additional commands, e-mail:
WEB.DE DSL SOMMER-SPECIAL: Surf & Phone Flat 16.000 für
nur 19,99 ¿/mtl.!*

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message