ant-dev mailing list archives

From Karsten Wutzke <kwut...@web.de>
Subject Re: warning: 'includeantruntime' was not set
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2010 16:41:53 GMT
I forgot that I had this in mind, too! +1 for breaking backward compatibility and require those
who need the sysclasspath explicitly.

Karsten

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@gmail.com>
Gesendet: 18.08.2010 18:31:51
An: Ant Developers List <dev@ant.apache.org>
Betreff: Re: warning: 'includeantruntime' was not set

>On Aug 18, 2010, at 11:15 AM, Jesse Glick wrote:
>
>> On 08/18/2010 10:14 AM, kwutzke@web.de wrote:
>>> Why doesn't Ant just default to false and just omit warning me about this for
every Ant build?

>> That would be an incompatible change. Some old build scripts may be intentionally
compiling sources against ant.jar (typically because they define Ant tasks), tools.jar (who
knows why), etc. They also ought to set includeantruntime=false but then explicitly add the
desired <classpath>, e.g. . (The warning will also go away if you set includeantruntime=true,
but this will make your script be less portable.)

>> I agree that it is irritating to issue this warning so often, but the alternative
of breaking compatibility even for a minority of existing scripts seems worse. There are similar
places in Ant where an old default was a bad choice but cannot now be changed compatibly.

>> (You could also define ANT_OPTS=-Dbuild.sysclasspath=ignore for yourself but this
will not help other people running your script.)

>Personally, I would vote that we break backward-compatibility on this issue, and require
those running such ancient buildfiles to declare build.sysclasspath if they DO want the system
classpath appended.