ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <>
Subject Contacting vendors (was [RESULT][VOTE] Remove commercial tasks from Ant)
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2010 19:00:19 GMT
On 30/06/2010 4:43 AM, Jan Matèrne wrote:
> Could you provide a mail 'template' we could use?
> I could try to contact the Synergy-people at IBM.

Sure. How about this as a first attempt. Feedback and suggestions

On behalf of the Apache Ant Project, I am writing to let you know that
the Ant development team has recently voted to remove all commercial
software tasks from future Ant releases, including tasks which support
your product []. This decision was made because the developers have
found it impossible to develop and maintain the tasks when they lack
access to the software that the tasks are designed to interact with.

We recognize that dropping these tasks will have a negative impact on
your customers. We therefore suggest that your organization take over
development, maintenance, and release of the code for these tasks. If
you do so we will provide a pointer on the Ant site indicating where
people can find these tasks on your web site, thereby easing the
transition for your customers.

If you are unable or unwilling to take over responsibility for these
tasks, we will try to move them into an unsupported Ant Library. How
long this will take is unknown, and the results are unlikely to work
correctly since we lack the ability to test them. It will be left to
your customers to try to figure out how to make the library work.

We plan to remove the tasks September 1st. Please let us know what your
intentions are prior to that date so that we can plan accordingly.

Thank you.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message