ant-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Remove commercial tasks from Ant
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2010 14:02:59 GMT

On Jun 19, 2010, at 1:38 PM, Bruce Atherton wrote:

> Ant supplies several tasks that require commercial software in order to run. This is
a problem because the Ant developers do not typically have access to the commercial products
required to test, maintain, and enhance the tasks. It also means that users downloading the
binary edition of Ant end up with a lot of tasks that they cannot use.

> In order to rectify this situation, I'm calling a vote on how to deal with these unsupportable
tasks. The vote is composed of two parts: should we drop support for each of these tasks from
the Ant release, and should we establish the commercial tasks that have been dropped as Antlibs
in the sandbox.

> 1. Should the following commercial tasks be dropped from being distributed with the Ant
release?

> [  ]  Continuous/Synergy tasks:  CCMCheckin, CCMCheckout, CCMCheckinTask, CCMReconfigure,
CCMCreateTask
> [  ]  Clearcase tasks: CCCheckin, CCCheckout, CCUnCheckout, CCUpdate, CCMklbtype, CCMklabel,
CCRmtype, CCLock, CCUnlock, CCMkbl, CCMkattr, CCMkdir, CCMkelem
> [  ]  Perforce Tasks: P4Sync, P4Change, P4Edit, P4Submit, P4Have, P4Label, P4Labelsync,
P4Counter, P4Reopen, P4Revert, P4Add, P4Delete, P4Integrate, P4Resolve, P4Fstat
> [  ]  PVCS
> [  ]  ServerDeploy, but only for the jonas and weblogic nested elements, generic can
stay where it is.
> [  ]  Source Offsite: sosget, soslabel, soscheckin, soscheckout
> [  ]  Microsoft Visual SourceSafe (already an Antlib)

+1 to all

> 2. Should the commercial tasks that are voted for dropping from Ant core above be established
in their own Antlibs in the sandbox?

> [  ]  +1 = Yes, establish one new Antlib in the sandbox for each task dropped
>      -1 = No, just drop the commercial tasks altogether from Ant

+0

-Matt

> Note that question 1 is a  vote for code modification, so any -1 vote on question 1 is
considered a veto. Question 2 is just for guidance from the community about whether there
is a desire to keep the commercial tasks around in Antlibs. Since any committer can create
a sandbox Antlib at any time, the vote is non-binding and any -1 vote just indicates that
the voter does not think that this is a good idea rather than being a veto.

> Three or more +1 votes with no -1 votes are required for dropping any of the commercial
tasks. The vote will end in one week.