ant-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: missing extension-point behaviour
Date Wed, 23 Jun 2010 19:46:54 GMT
On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Danny Yates <danny@codeaholics.org> wrote:
> [...]
> In essence, you describe the build file which uses "extensionOf"
> importing/including the build file which has the extension-points, but we're
> trying to work the other way around and throwing two "master" build files
> into the mix!
>
> I hope that's a bit clearer?

That is clearer indeed, and the reason why I didn't get it, because
what you are trying to achieve is "upside-down" compared to my
thinking and I suspect the way extension-point where designed to be
used. I kinda understand your rational for doing it that way though,
even though I think I would have gone for a different design,
possibly:

1) merge build.xml and deploy.xml and be done with it. Somehow I
suspect the target sets are mostly orthogonal and the merge is
possible.
2) do exactly what you say you didn't want to do :) i.e. do it
"right-side-up" by having each "service" script import (now helper as
opposed to master) build(er).xml and deploy(er).xml. To build all
services, you'd <subant> into each "service"-specific script.

So I guess now I'm more +/-0 on this new feature, rather than plain -0.5. --DD

PS: You want <fileset dir="service-descriptors"
includes="*-descriptor.xml" /> to ensure you don't scan the whole of
${basedir}. Antoine's optimization probably recognize that case, but
it's always better to be as specific with the fileset's dir attribute
as you can.