ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Glick <jesse.gl...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Ant source structure and ant*.jar build products
Date Mon, 17 May 2010 19:18:42 GMT
On 05/16/2010 07:52 PM, Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote:
> I believe that Jesse meant something like "One jar should be
> built from each source root". In fact his proposition does not change
> the number of jars produced in the ant distribution and their contents.

Correct, this would only be a change in source layout. I will send out a vote about this soon,
since people's preferences on the subject differ.

My comments about third-party libraries should perhaps have been put in a separate thread
since that is a more or less orthogonal issue. I was not aware of (or had
forgotten) fetch.xml; that should be helpful.

Still not clear to me whether there is a (nonhistorical) reason for maintaining ant.jar and
ant-nodeps.jar as distinct. Stefan seems to say there is not; Antoine only
referred to the historical development. The question comes down to whether the distinction
between "core" vs. "optional" tasks is still important independently of
third-party library dependencies. Again this should be considered an independent topic, as
they could be merged with or without a change in source layout.