ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Glick <>
Subject Re: includeantruntime warning (was: [VOTE] release of ant 1.8.1)
Date Wed, 05 May 2010 16:28:20 GMT
Peter Reilly wrote:
> I am not too sure that I like the warning:
> 'includeantruntime' was not set, defaulting to build.sysclasspath=last; set to false
for repeatable builds

You don't like the text of the warning message, or the fact that there is a warning at all?

I have just seen a lot of build scripts which used the historical default of true, thus including
ant.jar etc. in the classpath of quite unrelated code. (In the unusual
case that you are in fact compiling Ant tasks, adding ${ant.core.lib} to the classpath makes
this explicit.) Besides permitting code to compile against classes it might
not have accessible at runtime, I found that this interfered with dynamic analysis of the
compile-time classpath for purposes of <>.

Since changing the default would be incompatible, it seemed better to warn about what was
almost always a mistake. This is analogous to the warning printed when you
neglect to set a source level and Ant defaults to the version of the executing JDK.

> (not too sure if this was added in ant 1.8 or ant 1.8.1)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message