ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Ant source tree reorganization
Date Tue, 18 May 2010 17:50:13 GMT
On 17/05/2010 7:11 PM, Jesse Glick wrote:
> Should the Ant source tree (src/main/ and perhaps also src/tests/) be
> split into subtrees?
>
> [ ] No, leave it the way it is - one big tree, using <selector> to
> conditionally compile pieces and route classes to various JARs.
>
> [ ] Yes, split it into subtrees, where each tree maps to an output
> JAR, may have its own classpath, and is compiled completely or not at
> all.

Like Stefan, I'm going to abstain. I don't like the reorganization, but
recognize that maintaining the selectors as they exist right now is
problematic and bug prone. Looking forward to the long-ago promised day
that we could break backwards API compatibility with an Ant 2.0 release
and reorganize the classes into a more sensible package structure. Ahh
well, someday.

> And while we're at it:
>
> Should ant.jar and ant-nodeps.jar be consolidated?
>
> [ ] No, leave these as two JAR outputs (and two subtrees if the first
> proposal is accepted).
>
> [X] Yes, merge them into one ant.jar (and one subtree " " " " " "), to
> include all tasks and types with no linkage-level deps on 3rd-party
> libraries (even if there is an implicit dep on a 3rd-party tool such
> as Perforce), and remove the "Core" vs. "Optional" distinction in the
> manual.

Big fan of that.