ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>
Subject Re: task that allows augmentation of previously declared references
Date Thu, 25 Mar 2010 22:58:04 GMT
I agree. I see that the intent in such a final attribute is to keep a
build system understandable at a local level without worrying about what
external entities might do, but if you feel that way don't use
augmentation in your build system. The only reasons I use final keyword
in programming are security and performance, neither of which apply
here. It is too hard to predict where extensibility can prove useful to
pre-empt it beforehand.

I've tried to figure out a usecase for a final attribute, and the only
one I can think of is if you have a bunch of generic build files with
the same target names called from a master build file, and in some
instances you want the target augmented from the master build file and
in some you don't. That doesn't sound like it is very compelling for
adding the attribute on the first pass of the augment feature.