ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Glick <jesse.gl...@sun.com>
Subject Re: [POLL] Rewriting Ant's self description
Date Mon, 08 Feb 2010 16:00:53 GMT
Antoine Levy Lambert wrote:
> Ant is a Java library and command line tool.

command-line tool
        ^

> build of java applications

Java
^

> tasks allowing to compile, assemble, test and run java applications.

allowing users to ... Java
          ^^^^^^       ^

> non java applications

non-Java
    ^^

> their own antlibs

"antlibs"
^       ^

> open source

open-source
     ^

> impose coding conventions or directory layouts to the Java projects

on the Java projects
^^

> the usual command line tool

command-line tool
        ^

> writing shell-scripts

shell scripts
      ^

> or little noticeable characters

unnoticeable
^^

> one of the most famous alternatives

  the most famous alternative
^                           ^

> build, packaging, testing and running capabilities

building, ...
      ^^^

> Java projects adopting Maven as a project management tool are given some conventions
to follow

Relevant to note that this permits IDEs to open and work with such projects without being
given any IDE-specific instructions, which to my mind is one of the principal
advantages of Maven over a freeform build tool such as Ant.

> overriden

overridden
        ^

> the maven team

Maven
^

> A recent, and worth mentioning alternative to Ant is Gradle,

A recent alternative to Ant worth mentioning is Gradle,
         ^                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> a new tool

Redundant (just said "recent").

> which allows to write

allows users to write
        ^^^^^^

> which a lot of people feel

many people
^^^^

> is easier

clearer

> One nice thing for Ant is that Gradle

Fortunately for Ant, Gradle

> so our tasks and types are used inside Gradle

...and benefit from bug fixes and improvements in Ant and Ivy.