ant-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: task that allows augmentation of previously declared references
Date Thu, 25 Feb 2010 17:13:10 GMT

On Feb 25, 2010, at 10:53 AM, Dominique Devienne wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Gilles Scokart
> <gscokart@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Did you have any example to demonstrates the benefits of such task ?
>
> The benefits with conjunction with <import> could be important, in
> that you can "mix-in" specialized pre-defined builds dealing with
> specific concerns (like JAXB pre-compilation for example) and have
> those builds "implicitly" augment the classpath or Javac source path
> appropriately for example (as documented in those builds, and you do
> explicitly import those, so are kinda in control). Sure, it does open
> the door for some complexity, and Ant would enter some un-chartered
> waters indeed, but when trying to design reusable builds in the
> (distant now) past, I've often felt the need for such a feature. Yet
> it doesn't necessarily mean that would have been the right solution
> either. I'd be interesting to have the input of the EasyAnt people on
> the matter in fact. Maybe an opt-in approach, explicitly adding
> final="false" on those datatype ids *designed* for extension, would be

I could live with this.  :)  We could also include a magic property
for the default.  Having the augmentation feature supported at such a
low level would help establish its specialness, which is most evident
in its (ab)use of the id attribute, which decision I must stand by,
however, since this is the only attribute we should be guaranteed not
to need to modify on the original referenced object.

-Matt