ant-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com>
Subject "parsed" resource
Date Thu, 28 Jan 2010 19:32:32 GMT
Okay, using custom PropertyEvaluators (e.g. the "types" evaluator
from the props antlib) we can set an attribute of a task or type to
an arbitrary Ant type.  I would like to (after 1.8.0, I suppose) add
a resource implementation that simply allows one to say, e.g.:

<parsedresource parse="${file(foo.txt)}" /><!-- the file(foo.txt)
piece is implemented by the aforementioned "types" evaluator -->

Now, programmatically, this type is ridiculously trivial:

public class ParsedResource extends ResourceDecorator {

   public void setParse(Resource r) {
     addConfigured(r);
   }

}

 From a code perspective, this can be interpreted as simply
implementing a means of specifying the decorated resource as a bean
property, as an alternative to calling a method.  And the "parsed"
mechanism only comes into play if the user consciously chooses to
configure Ant's PropertyHelper appropriately.  So I'm searching for a
better name for this concept.  The motivation here is, in particular,
to have a way to specify arbitrary resources via user properties when
a given task (e.g. import) allows only nested resources and therefore
won't take advantage of IntrospectionHelper's new Object-parsing
mechanism, which applies only to attributes.

Another naming idea that occurs to me is <injectedresource
resource="..." />  Does anybody have anything better?

Finally, I'd be delighted if, once a nomenclature is settled upon, if
the community said "hey, this is both trivial from a risk perspective
yet potentially quite useful--let's include it in 1.8.0!", but I
certainly won't insist upon it.  ;)

Thanks for listening,
Matt