ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: "parsed" resource
Date Sat, 30 Jan 2010 07:09:18 GMT
On 2010-01-29, Matt Benson <> wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2010, at 11:19 PM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>> Maybe it would be better (from a naming perspective) if you could do

>> <property name="file(foo.txt)"/>

>> instead.  I realize this would require bigger code changes.

> Yeah, quite... although I think you've identified a--I hesitate to say
> "critical", but... "indisputable"--shortcoming in the current
> PropertyResource implementation in light of the recent PropertyHelper
> changes.

I realized that myself when I looked through the code, I had completely
forgotten about that resource type until I looked for a way to implement
your parsedresource as part of an existing type.

> I will code this ASAP and commit when I finish or after 1.8.0 is
> released, whichever is later.

>> The other idea I had was to add the functionality to the <resources>
>> resource collection, where the implementation would be as trivial as
>> shown in your code.

>> <resource add="${file(foo.txt)}"/>

> Your paragraph says <resources> but your example uses <resource>; I'm
> going to assume you mean the latter.

No, I really meant resource*s*

<resources add="${file(foo.txt)}"/>

This would be a resource collection whose sole element was taken from
expanding the property - much the same way your resource decoration
approach would work but without any decoration going on.

I don't think we have any tasks that accept a nested resource but not a
nested resource collection.

> <resource> is, of course, already available for using references.  A
> solution using this approach might be to make ResourceDecorator
> concrete, add a resource property setter for XML attribute
> accessibility, redefine a ResourceDecorator to, by ...

No, then I'd rather see a "parsed" resource 8-)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message