ant-dev mailing list archives

From Maarten Coene <maarten_co...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: possible ivy contribution: explicit dependency ivy.xml generation.
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2010 20:31:11 GMT
Why don't you use the ivy:deliver task which has an attribute 'replacedynamicrev' for this
purpose?

<ivy:deliver replacedynamicrev="true" ... />

Or am I missing something?

regards,
Maarten

----- Original Message ----
From: Michael Shea <mike@nitido.com>
To: dev@ant.apache.org
Sent: Tue, January 12, 2010 9:25:00 PM
Subject: possible ivy contribution: explicit dependency ivy.xml generation.

Hi folks,

I am not sure if this is the right list to post this on (but it is listed as the Ivy development
mailing list on ant.apache.org/ivy, so I'm presuming that it is).

I have been working recently on an ant task to generate what I am referring to as "explicit
ivy.xml files". What I mean by this is that I want to generate an ivy.xml file containing
all the same configurations as the original ivy.xml file, but which forces revisions to the
exact versions that resolved at build time. This (or something equivalent) is necessary at
my company in order for us to have a reproducible release process.

I will illustrate the problem. Suppose you have the following ivy.xml file:

<ivy-module version="2.0">
  <dependencies>
     <dependency org="A" name="name" rev="1.+" conf="default->*"/>
  </dependencies>
</ivy-module>

Now, if we run a release at a given point in time, dependency A.name might resolve to "1.2".
But later on, it might resolve to "1.3" if a new version is published. This problem can be
solved in several ways - you could simply have release configurations in which you disallow
the "1.+" notation, for instance, or you can just look at the generated XML or HTML reports
from <ivy: report/>, and use these to manually reconstruct a new ivy.xml file. However,
I have tried to solve the problem by writing my own ant task which looks at the ResolveReport
(so it needs to be run after a call to <ivy:report/>). This task generates a new ivy.xml
file which uses the force attribute on dependencies, and sets the rev attributes to the actual
versions that got resolved, for all dependencies (including transitive ones). It also includes
appropriate "conf" attrbiutes on the dependencies. I believe this will solve the problem.

I'm just wondering: Do people think this is a good idea? Is there something out there that
already does it? I originally tried using the xsl transformations of the ivy report XML, but
that didn't work for me because it seemed to generate one report per configuration (and I
wanted one report *for all configurations*). Anyway - if this is a useful thing, how can I
go about contributing it back to the Ivy project? Fyi, I wrote it by getting the latest Ivy
sourcecode and extending IvyPostResolveTask.

Thanks,

Mike Shea.