ant-dev mailing list archives

From Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <>
Subject Re: ant -u http://somewhere/build.xml
Date Thu, 28 Jan 2010 09:43:10 GMT
Antoine Levy Lambert skrev:
> the import task in 1.8.x supports importing resources which can be
> URLs. So maybe the main build file cannot be http based, but the meat
> of the build file can. So maybe you can have a stub of a build file on
> the file system ?
The scenario for this is that we frequently have to bootstrap our
deployment scheme on machines with not much more than a JVM[1], but
which can "call home".  Being able to pull in the environment from the
mother ship means things are easier to script.  I did not know the
import task now knows URL's, which could mean that the functionality I
need could be satisfied simply by downloading the remote build.xml file
to a temporary local file (with basedir set to current directory),
executed, and then deleted when the JVM exits.

[1] I'd also like an easy ant deployment scheme on such a machine, but
that is an issue for another day.

>> I just found that 1.8rc0 has been released, so to check if ant
>> already can do this I downloaded the svn source for HEAD [1], and had
>> a quick look at the source for, where it
>> seems that all the logic for the build file is File-based, and a
>> quick look at the developer mailing list and the issues system did
>> not immediately reveal any discussion on this.
>> I'd really, really like this to be possible in ant 1.8, hence this
>> hurried mail, and I'd be happy to help.
>> What should I do now?
>> /Thorbjørn
>> [1] The "ant bootstrap" process fails compiling optional taskdefs for
>> a plain svn extract.  The installation documents does not mention how
>> to circumvent this.
> to build the optional tasks, you need to download the dependencies
> using ant -f fetch.xml ... (there are additional parameters). This can
> put the libraries in lib/optional where the bootstrap process uses
> them. I think currently only NetRexx is the only commercial dependency
> which cannot be fetched that way, at least for my JDK 1.5 on Mac which
> include s JMF and JAI in the extensions.
Thank you!  I now have a compiling tree.

I'll have a closer look :)

  Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen  " Tubular Bells!"

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message