ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: deep-if/deep-unless
Date Tue, 15 Dec 2009 05:21:42 GMT
On 2009-12-14, Antoine Levy Lambert <antoine@gmx.de> wrote:

> I have never thought about how this could be implemented and how much
> work it is. It is probably a non-trivial addition because it means
> that the list of targets to execute and their order will change
> dynamically during the build depending upon how properties evaluate at
> run time.

If you made it fully dynamic, yes, and there are probably a lot of edge
cases to consider.  In your construct

> <target name="foo" depends="bar" deep-if="someproperty"/>

when would you evaluate someproperty?  Before bar is scheduled?  If you
evaluate it when foo is about to execute it will be too late since bar
has already been run.

If we restricted deep-if to properties/conditions that can be evaluated
at parser time, then the dependency tree wouldn't change at runtime and
such a change wouldn't have as big an impact as a truely dynamic
solution.

Stefan