ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Re: [POLL] target-groups
Date Wed, 16 Dec 2009 13:29:41 GMT
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 13:19:55 +0100, Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org>
wrote:
> before we get carried away with naming discussions ...
>
> Currently I don't feel there is consensus of what we'd like to see with
> target-group (if anything at all).  The options I see are
>
>   * have some sort of composite of targets that other targets can add
>     themselves to
>
>   * have some special construct that has a depends list similar to
>     target.  targets can depend on such a construct and add themselves
>     to the depends list (the current code base).
>
>   * allow targets to add themselves to the depends lists of any other
>     target

As I explained in the other thread, I finally think this is the simpler
solution.

>   * allow targets to add themselves to the depends lists of targets that
>     in some way mark themselves as being open for such extensions

I tend to prefer to keep it open by default, but I won't make any veto
against it. For instance I have not the experience described by Bruce
about finding "backwards chaining [being an] often (usually) surprising
behaviour to the first time user, but once learned quickly becom[ing]
second nature."

Nicolas