ant-dev mailing list archives

From Xavier Hanin <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maybe we should open up "depends" for all targets [again]
Date Fri, 11 Dec 2009 12:32:04 GMT
2009/12/10 Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org>

> On 2009-12-09, Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lalevee@hibnet.org> wrote:
> [...]
>

> > Now thinking loud, maybe a simple attribute on target like
> > dependencies="public" would also fit ?
>
> Likely coupled with changing the current target-group name.
>
> Only thinking loudly as well we could turn
>
> <target-group name="foo"/>
> <target name="bar" target-group="foo"/>
>
> into
>
> <target name="foo" dependencies="public"/>
> <target name="bar" before-targets="foo"/>
>
> and would do away with any notion of target composition people way
> expect from the name target-*group*.

I also think the name target-group is confusing for something that doesn't
provide any composition. Still I'm not sure dependencies="public" fits very
well, it sounds like a visibility thing to me. And before-targets sounds
like the before targets will be executed before the declaring target (just
like depends actually). What do you think this:
<target name="foo" dependencies="open"/>
<target name="bar" join-depends="foo"/>

But I'm not good at finding names, so maybe I should just go back to my work
:-)

Xavier