ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>
Subject Re: [POLL] target-groups
Date Wed, 16 Dec 2009 01:53:25 GMT
Sorry if the previous thread was hijacked by naming issues, but I'm not
sure I'm ready to vote in a poll yet.

To me, only two of the options are seriously being discussed right now:

  1) the current target-group codebase
  2) moving the behaviour of target-group into all targets through a
marker attribute

On first glance, changing target-group to a target with a marker
attribute looks like a NOP, but this is not necessarily true. As you
pointed out before, Stefan, targets are used in quite a lot of contexts
and in some of those contexts (like import) things might get a bit
confusing if we just substitute a the target-group concept in for a target.

My question is whether we need to provide different behaviour under any
circumstances between a target and what we now call a target-group
(other than the obvious extension of dependencies). If they can be
treated as completely equivalent I'd favour what I've labelled as option
2 above. If there are circumstances where, for example, you couldn't add
a dependency to a suitably marked target because of namespace issues or
import issues or whatever, then I would vote for option 1 above, so as
to make it clear to the user that there are considerations that need to
be made when using the target-group construct.

Can anyone give a concrete example where there would be a problem
treating a target-group as if it were a target?