ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>
Subject Re: deep-if/deep-unless
Date Wed, 16 Dec 2009 01:17:52 GMT
I think that would be very confusing at this point. For better or worse,
Ant was designed from the beginning to build its dependencies through
backwards chaining. It is often (usually) surprising behaviour to the
first time user, but once learned quickly becomes second nature.
Introducing a new construct that does the reverse seems likely only to
cause massive confusion, especially one with such a similar name.

The fact that often an init method is the lowest level dependency and
sets many of the properties used in "if" and "unless" attributes higher
in the dependency tree is, I think, a good way to introduce people to
the Ant way of designing builds as lists of target dependencies.

Besides, as Jesse points out, there is a very simple workaround.