ant-dev mailing list archives

From Antoine Levy Lambert <anto...@gmx.de>
Subject deep-if/deep-unless
Date Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:16:43 GMT
Hi,

the current discussion about target groups reminds me that there is
something else that I would need in ant.

Currently, when a build file contains this :

<target name="foo" depends="bar" if="someproperty"/>

When executing foo, bar will get executed regardless of whether
someproperty is set or not.

I would often see the need for another variation of if, which would
remove bar from the dependency tree if someproperty is not set.

Since obviously, it is something else, maybe this should have another
attribute name such as "deep-if"

<target name="foo" depends="bar" deep-if="someproperty"/>

I have never thought about how this could be implemented and how much
work it is. It is probably a non-trivial addition because it means that
the list of targets to execute and their order will change dynamically
during the build depending upon how properties evaluate at run time.

Regards,