ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>
Subject Re: Maybe we should open up "depends" for all targets [again]
Date Sat, 12 Dec 2009 05:03:07 GMT
Xavier Hanin wrote:
> 2009/12/10 Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org>
>

>> <target name="foo" dependencies="public"/>
>> <target name="bar" before-targets="foo"/>
>>
>> and would do away with any notion of target composition people way
>> expect from the name target-*group*.
>>
> I also think the name target-group is confusing for something that doesn't
> provide any composition. Still I'm not sure dependencies="public" fits very
> well, it sounds like a visibility thing to me. And before-targets sounds
> like the before targets will be executed before the declaring target (just
> like depends actually). What do you think this:
> <target name="foo" dependencies="open"/>
> <target name="bar" join-depends="foo"/>

How about:

  <target name="foo" dependencies="extendable" />
  <target name="bar" extend="foo"/>

Perhaps that suggests inheritance, so you could go with 'extend-depends'
or 'dep-extend' or something.

Alternately we could use:

  <target name="foo" dependencies="alterable" />
  <target name="bar" alter="foo"/>