ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Re: Maybe we should open up "depends" for all targets [again]
Date Sat, 12 Dec 2009 10:54:00 GMT
On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 11:51:30 -0600, Dominique Devienne
<ddevienne@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 6:32 AM, Xavier Hanin <xavier.hanin@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> 2009/12/10 Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org>
>>> and would do away with any notion of target composition people way
>>> expect from the name target-*group*.
>> I also think the name target-group is confusing for something that
>> doesn't
>> provide any composition. [...] What do you think this:
>> <target name="foo" dependencies="open"/>
>> <target name="bar" join-depends="foo"/>
>
> Like in a SQL join you mean? ;)
>
>> But I'm not good at finding names, so maybe I should just go back to my
>> work :-)
>
> Frankly I think the Maven terminology of a "goal" is appropriate here.
> The fact that a goal is implemented as a target that has no tasks is
> an impl detail. I think it easier that a goal is a higher level
> abstraction that the target, and that target can choose to participate
> into one and only one goal. Whether goals themselves should only
> depend on goals might be a good idea. Goals would define the "abstract
> interface" to the build system and logic, and targets become its
> implementation. As I wrote, a target can belong to only a single goal,
> but can depend on targets or goals, as long as the DAG is acyclic.

I think that "abstract interface" target and "implementation" target seems
to fit very well into my use case I presented earlier. It was about a build
script expecting some target implementation to be run before some other;
expecting "build-jar", "build-flex" to be run before "ivy-install". And
then the abstract target is "dist".

Then about the term "goal", I don't find it self explaining, but if in
Maven there is the same exact notion, I am good with not spreading new
terms for the same ideas. On the other hand if there would be non trivial
difference, we shouldn't choose "goal". I cannot say thought, I don't know
Maven enought.

Nicolas