ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A groovy frontend for Ant
Date Mon, 28 Sep 2009 15:32:34 GMT
On 2009-09-27, Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lalevee@hibnet.org> wrote:

> Just one thing is worrying me: the ProjectHelper#parse method is
> expecting an Object as source, which as the javadoc specifies it can
> be a File, an URL, an InputStream, or even a specialized type as
> InputSource. Does it really used with something else than a File or an
> URL ?

No, we don't do so, but it has been asked for a couple of times.  The
main thing holding back an implementation that was using URLs or streams
is "what should be use to resolve relative file names".

> Should we continue to support that ? Shouldn't we better support only
> URL ? something that we can get content from and have a name.

Imagine you want tp import a build file that's located in a database ...

> And by the way shouldn't ProjectHelper be an abstract class ?

Prior to Ant 1.6.0 ProjectHelper was the actual implemtation used by
Ant.  I think we kept it non-abstract in order to allow code that
directly instantiated ProjectHelper to compile.  I'm not sure whether
any such code ever existed and whether it is still relevant.  Would we
gain anything from making ProjectHelper abstract?

Stefan