ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Scanning Resource Collections Several Times
Date Fri, 21 Aug 2009 14:56:17 GMT
On 2009-08-21, Dale Anson <danson@grafidog.com> wrote:

> Does your change improve performance of the delete task at all?

Potentially, although the change is more about correctness (in the
presence of a modified selector) than speed.  If you use <modified>
inside <delete> on code earlier than today's the task will delete files
it is not supposed to delete.

If scanning the filesystem for resources to delete takes longer than
actually deleting them - say you have a very big directory tree of which
only a few files are selected - then the change may improve performance
signicantly as a side effect as well.

Note that Ant's trunk has been a lot faster than 1.7.1 when scanning big
trees for about a year now anyway.

> Part of the problem is the way delete is implemented in Java itself,
> that is, a non-empty directory cannot be deleted with
> java.io.File.delete(), so the delete task is required to traverse the
> tree and delete files from the bottom up.

Yes, and I'd expect that to be the bottleneck for most delete tasks.

Stefan