ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Including national characters int Tar Entry names into archive.
Date Wed, 01 Jul 2009 09:44:31 GMT
On 2009-06-30, Anton Vodonosov <avodonosov@yandex.ru> wrote:

> On 2009-05-26, you wrote:

>> If you take BSD's tar(5) man page
>> (e.g. <http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/cgi/web-man?command=tar&section=5>)
>> you'll see in the Pax section that pax specifically puts non-ASCII
>> file names into a separate entry and the manual points out this could
>> hold non-ASCII characters (which sort of implies the "normal" name
>> part was ASCII only).

The GNU tar doc says "local variant of ASCII" which likely is what we
currently have by using the platform's default encoding.
<http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/tar/Standard.html>

> But why not allow user to specify file name encoding as a parameter?
> (with will be current java encoding by default).

Sounds good.

> I am interested in this possibility and may provide a patch,

Yes, please do.  Once your patch is ready, please open an enhancement
request in bugzilla and attach it there.

Thanks

        Stefan