ant-dev mailing list archives

From Shabu Khan <hish...@gmail.com>
Subject pardon this post: ambitious Ant developer, not build engineer
Date Mon, 29 Jun 2009 06:11:47 GMT
I realize this is not a jobs list, but I've got a super-specialized need
that I'm convinced at least a few people on this list will be excited
about.

The company I'm with is a self-funded American start-up developing a
software product that promises be "best in world" in its segment, and we're
missing one key player in our small, dynamic team.

Responsibilities center around design and implementation of various
components using a wide range of Java-based technologies. If that sounds
vague, it is. This project is in stealth mode. We can provide more details
as we proceed. We can say, however, that our one glaring need centers around
Ant.

We need someone with experience writing Ant scripts for the enterprise, as
well as experience developing Ant tasks or otherwise coding against the Ant
API. However, what we don't need is a build engineer who happens to know
just a smattering of Java. What we need is someone who is, first and
foremost, a Java developer.

Other must-haves:

* A broad working knowledge of the current Java enterprise technology
landscape.
* A sophisticated understanding of deployment, release, build, version
control, and continuous integration concerns in the enterprise.
* Experience with unit testing and integration testing, or other kinds of
automated testing.
* Strong communication skills.
* A bachelor's degree in Computer Science or the equivalent.
* Either senior-level professional software engineering experience or the
sort of breakout talent that would make up for the lack of such experience.

Nice-to-have areas of expertise:

* Web layer development
* Spring Framework
* Maven or Ivy
* Selenium

We're looking for someone with a passion for design, who wants to challenge
and be challenged professionally, whose aspirations don't just settle into
being another passable corporate developer.

This is a contract opportunity lasting a minimum of six months. In addition,
an equity stake in this privately owned corporation is on the table for
someone who's not averse to such an arrangement.

Our company offers a professional but informal work environment founded on
openness, trust, and humility. The work is fast-paced without getting crazy.
The team is agile in the sense that we employ short iterations, relentlessly
prioritize, expect fluid collaboration, and have made a commitment to
automated testing, software metrics, and continuous integration. However, we
have not adopted formal agile methodologies per se. Within this context, you
would have an opportunity to help shape team culture.

Ideally, the candidate would be based on the West Coast of North America,
but we're not going to pass up the right person just because they're on the
other side of the world.

Reply directly to this post either to send a résumé or to ask for further
details. We only have time to respond to those candidates we consider
promising.
--
Thanks, Shabu