ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: distribution of ivy with ant
Date Tue, 26 May 2009 14:49:09 GMT
Enis Soztutar wrote:
> I don't know if it is discussed previously but I was wondering why ivy
> is not included in the ant distribution. More and more projects
> previously depending on ant start to use ivy, but the build files are
> cluttered with ivy-download, check-ivy-antlib, etc. Technically ivy is a
> subproject of ant, and it can be used optionally. However if they are
> distributed together there will be several benefits:
> 1. Out-of-the-box support for dependency management for ant
> 2. Better integration of ivy with ant
> 3. No more check, download and load ivy targets in build files
> 4. Lowered entry barrier to using ivy  for existing ant users
> 5. Exposure of ivy to more users
>
> the only drawback I can think of is the extra ivy jar file in the
> distribution.
>
> Is there any plans on the roadmap?

Now that ivy is part of Ant, it makes sense to start thinking of
bundling the two. However, it may tie the release cycle of the faster
moving item (ivy) to that of the slower one. Do you think things have
stabilised/slowed down enough for this? We can of course increase the
release frequency of Ant...