ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Glick <jesse.gl...@sun.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r743910 - in /ant/core/trunk: WHATSNEW src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/Javac.java
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2009 05:38:10 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>>> Do you know whether a Java 1.4 VM will even try to load the class
>>> file under any circumstances (other than some explicit reflection
>>> invocations)?
>
>> You cannot use package-info.java with JDK 1.4 to begin with.
>
> I know that.  I was wondering whether there might be a situation where
> JDK 1.4 would try to load the class file even though it shouldn't.

As far as I know JDK 1.4 would never try to load a package-info.class even if you called Package.getPackage,
since this file was newly defined in JDK 5. I suppose if for
some reason you wrote

   Class.forName("some.pkg.package-info");

in JDK 1.4 then you would get the UnsupportedClassVersionError you deserve... but this would
be true of any class in the same codebase, since they would all be using the
JDK 5 bytecode format. (If you had a package-info.java, then you must have been compiling
with at least -source 5, therefore at least -target 5 as well.) So I am still
puzzled by the question. I guess we can ignore it.