ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Yet an other view for target-group
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2008 15:37:18 GMT
On 2008-11-21, Gilles Scokart <gscokart@gmail.com> wrote:

> The concept of target-group seems confusing for the moment.

At least it confuses me, but I get the feeling that everybody must be
seeing something that I don't - so I very much appreciate any effort
to enlighten me.

While I do see differences between targets and target-groups for
people writing build files, I miss where they differ (or should
differ) for anybody running Ant.

> Instead of having one special type of target to define a new concept,
> maybe we need 2 : target-group and target-part.

> With the caracteristics that :
> * target-group and target-part can both have depends to any target.
> * target-part can declare that they are part of 1 or more target-group.
> * target-group have no content (not sure that's require for the view
> that we want).

Which from the end-user POV means targets and target-groups are
command line callable, target-parts are not.  Is that correct?

Stefan