ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: target-group committed
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2008 13:02:52 GMT
On 2008-11-21, Jean-Louis BOUDART <jeanlouis.boudart@gmail.com> wrote:

> Suppose you have a build with 10 target-group which represent 10 different
> generic step of your build process (like compile / package/ test/ etc...)

Then I'd consider this to be the public API and <import> it.

> And behind you have 30 submodules that have one or many target associated
> (or not) to that target-groups
> (compile-java,compile-scala,compile-whatever,javadoc,etc....)

They'd be implementation details of the public API and I'd <include>
them.

> As target-group are "top-level target", as a user i would prefer to see
> target-group separated instead of having to lookup at ALL target available.

So you are really asking for a way to suppress the targets that are
merely implementation details, or to de-emphasize them.  What you
really want is a distinction between "public" targets and their
implementations.

This distiction isn't necessarily the same as the one between targets
and target-groups.  I coud very well envision "public" targets and
"not-so-public" target-groups.

Stefan