ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: target-group committed
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:48:18 GMT
On 2008-11-20, Jean-Louis BOUDART <jeanlouis.boudart@gmail.com> wrote:

> The fact is target-group is not only a way to have dependency management,
> but a "new way" to think your build-script.

Yes, but only for the person who writes the build file, not the one
who uses it.  -projecthelp is for the user.

> I guess for us target-group is useful to make build modules easily reusable
> in a standard build (with standard target-group), without requiring any
> specific orchestration.
> This means target-group allow you to have a kind of "generic target", that's
> why in EasyAnt we want to have separated help for generic targets
> (target-group) and specific target (normal target).

Why would the user care whether she invokes a generic or specific
target?

> In addition, as we use target-group to have more "genericity" we doesn't
> want to have prefix on those "generic" targets.

I'm afraid I don't understand this.

One of your selling points for <include> was that the included build is
self-contained and remains that way by prefixing all traget names and
rewriting the depends lists.

If we break that rule for some kind of target, the included build is
suddenly open for modifications from the outside - including overrides
of target-groups.

Stefan