ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean-Louis BOUDART" <jeanlouis.boud...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: target-group committed
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:59:54 GMT
I agree with Xavier a target-group is something at a higher level than a
target.

I think that the key feature of target-group is dependency injection but as
Xavier says "if thread-group is the only way to have target dependency
injection, then people may use it only for that, and complain about the
distinction in project help".
The fact is target-group is not only a way to have dependency management,
but a "new way" to think your build-script.

I guess for us target-group is useful to make build modules easily reusable
in a standard build (with standard target-group), without requiring any
specific orchestration.
This means target-group allow you to have a kind of "generic target", that's
why in EasyAnt we want to have separated help for generic targets
(target-group) and specific target (normal target).

In addition, as we use target-group to have more "genericity" we doesn't
want to have prefix on those "generic" targets.