ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>
Subject Re: How about moving all SCM and EJB tasks into Antlibs?
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2008 19:05:42 GMT
I like the concept simply because it seems like the best way to get old,
mostly unused ant tasks out of the standard release. I'm not so
concerned about moving the tasks that are commonly used out of optional
to their own antlibs (though I have no objection to it) because I can't
see there being a separate release cycle for these tasks. They just
don't seem complex enough to justify the overhead. So all that moving
the commonly-used tasks will accomplish is to slightly lessen the
download size of the standard ant for a few people while increasing the
number of different file downloads required for others.

The trouble with moving the lesser-used tasks, though, is the issue that
Kevin pointed out. Once something becomes so unused that it justifies
this treatment, it is unlikely to be supported by enough committers to
make the transition possible.

I don't have a good answer for this chicken and egg problem.