ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: DirectoryScanner and Symlinks
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2008 04:13:48 GMT
On Thu, 4 Sep 2008, Peter Reilly <> wrote:

> Is it not costly (as in very costly) to get the canonical path ?

That's what I've been told but I've never measured it.

Currently DirectoryScanner avoids looking at the canonical path unless
followSymlinks is false.  The problem with infinite loops caused by
symlinks only happens if followSymlinks is true - so any solution to
the problem will make DirectoryScanner look up canonical paths more
often and thus probably make scanning slower.

> I would be for the lowest  tech possible here.

All solution offered so far would require DS to know a directory is a
link to do anything, which already means getting the canonical path
for all directories.  But what is the alternative?  Allowing Ant to
die because of the infinite loop?

I thought about adding yet another flag (detectSymlinkLoops?) to
enable/disable the check, but what should be the default, save or

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message