ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject DirectoryScanner performance
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:59:47 GMT
Hi all,

I've just committed a build file that uses pathconvert on a big
directory tree to measure DirectoryScanner performance.  Initially I
only wanted to use it to compare current trunk with Ant 1.7.1 but when
I saw that trunk was a tiny bit slower (something I didn't expect at
all) I threw in Ant 1.6.5 and 1.7.0 as well as several trunk revisions
between 1.7.1 and the current HEAD.

The tests are not through yet, but one thing was so surprising to me
that I wanted to show it upfront:

Running the matchall target (of sr/etc/performance/dirscanner.xml):

Ant 1.6.5               1 min 30 s      ~ 19 MB
Ant 1.7.0               3 min 53 s      ~ 24 MB
Ant 1.7.1                     10 s      ~ 14 MB

So 1.7.0 took more than twice as long as 1.6.5 to find all files in a
big directory tree without any patterns and 1.7.1 is a whole lot
faster than even 1.6.5.

Stefan