ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Anybody familiar with ChoiceFormat? Issue 44659
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2008 04:35:24 GMT
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> AFAICT making the thousands separator go away takes
>> the same amount of
>> coding effort as making it use the US locale.
>
> Agreed wrt required effort; I also agree that no
> thousands separator is preferable to ambiguity.

I had shown a way to get rid of the thousands separator in my initial
post and just forgot about it.  It's gone now.

> Another option is to provide localization bundles, but
> that's obviously a MUCH larger task.  ;)

And something I wouldn't want to do.

I remember that I had a hard time when I first encountered a localized
AIX system and my terminal told me there was a "Rundsendenachricht von
root" - it took me pretty long to translate that back into "broadcast
message" and understand what the message was supposed to say.

Stefan