ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffrey E Care <ca...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Allowing antlibs to contribute diagnostics & version info
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:39:43 GMT
Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote on 08/27/2008 09:29:02 AM:

> > I'm using META-INF/services from the JAR spec,
>
> would it be possible to somehow use antlib.xml instead?  Right now
> antlibs don't need to do anything to META-INF at all.

I would have preferred this but to my knowledge there's no standard
location for antlib.xml that I could use to load it from. I want this
function to work without there needing to be a project, so relying on
Antlib namespace declarations is out. I don't want to go searching through
every entry in every JAR on the classpath just to find antlib.xml files.

I agree that it's a little clumsy to be using META-INF/services here but
this is exactly the kind of application that the services stuff was added
to support. Moreover, Ant does have the capability of using
META-INF/services for other things (I think ProjectHelper is one example)
so this isn't entirely without precedent in the Ant codebase.

> > If someone else is willing to work on the command line stuff that
> > would be appreciated:
>
> should be done in trunk.
>
> Both Main.printVersion and Diagnostics.doReport now get the current
> loglevel passed in as an (additional) argument.

Awesome, thanks!