ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Scheper, Erik-Berndt" <erik-berndt.sche...@sogeti.nl>
Subject RE: Ivy svn breaks ant-contrib svn
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2008 08:46:25 GMT
<quote>

> We warned the users about that in the release notes, and changing
> code in Ivy for backward compatibility with a beta version (which in
> Ivy language is not a release candidate) sounds not like a good idea
> to me.

That is more tha fine with me.

> But once again I'm alone to decide, and if more people think it
> makes sense, I won't object.

There is no reason to change anything for me.

</quote>

Agreed, but it would be nice to
-either warn users that this specific change in beta-2 has been reverted, so that new adopters
of beta-2 are explicitly aware of this
-or make a new beta release with the original behaviour.

Regards,
Erik-Berndt

________________________________

>> I don't really have an opinion on the particular change but am a
>> strong proponent of not breaking APIs in general (at least not
>> without a deprecation period).
>
> I agree in general, but Ivy 2 has been going in a deep code change, and we
> decided to keep backward compatibility with 1.4 at ant tasks level, but not
> at API level.

Understood.

> We warned the users about that in the release notes, and changing
> code in Ivy for backward compatibility with a beta version (which in
> Ivy language is not a release candidate) sounds not like a good idea
> to me.

That is more tha fine with me.

> But once again I'm alone to decide, and if more people think it
> makes sense, I won't object.

There is no reason to change anything for me.

Stefan